Skip to main content

The Boston Strangler Murders and Albert DeSalvo

Albert DeSalvo after turning
himself in for escaping imprisonment
The Boston Strangler was a presumed serial killer that operated in the Boston area from June of 1962 until January of 1964. The killer (or killers, as some would say) was responsible for the deaths of thirteen women. Of course, as with most serial killings, it is difficult to know whether more murders took place in other areas. One man in particular–Albert DeSalvo–is widely believed to have been responsible for the Boston Strangler murders. However, it is important to bear in mind that he was never charged with the murders. In fact, no one ever was.

The Boston Strangler first struck on June 14, 1962. The victim was 55-year-old Anna Slesers. Anna's son found her on the floor of the bathroom in her apartment on Gainsborough St. in Boston. She was wearing only a bathrobe, which had been left open, exposing her nude body. She had been sexually assaulted, but not raped. Anna was strangled with the belt of her bathrobe, which was left around her neck. It was tied in a bow.

Notably, the killer ransacked Slesers' apartment, but stole nothing. This would be the case in many of the murders to come. Why the attacker did this, no one knows. It was obvious to police that it was not a robbery gone awry. The killer must have known this after the newspaper reports on the murder came out. Why did he continue with the farce if he wasn't trying to throw police off his trail? Did he gain some sort of pleasure from rifling through his victims' belongings?

The Boston Strangler killed is second victim on June 30, 1962. Her name was Nina Nichols and she was 68-years-old. Nina was also sexually assaulted, but not raped. She was also in her bathrobe, which was pulled up, exposing her from the waist down. Her murderer strangled her with her pantyhose and he, again, left the weapon around his victim's neck, tied in a bow.

On July 2, 1962, the body of Helen Blake was found in her apartment on Newshall Street in Lynn. Post-mortem showed that the 65-year-old woman was killed on June 30. She had been strangled with her nylons looped through her bra. As before, they were left around her neck in a sadistic parody of a gift decoration. Also as before, her body had been violated, but not raped.

The Boston Strangler struck again on August 19, 1962. His latest victim was 75-year-old Ida Irga. Her body was not found in her apartment on Grove Ave. in the West End for three days. She had been strangled with a pillowcase that was left in the now familiar bow around her neck. Her body had been violated and left in a sexual pose.

The next Boston Strangler victim was discovered in her apartment on Columbia Road in Dorchester on August 30. She was 67-year-old Jane Sullivan and she had been dead for ten days. She was found in her bathtub with her nylons tied around her neck. Police were unable to ascertain if she had been molested due to decay. However, it can probably be assumed that she was. This was the first time the killer did not ransack the apartment.

There would be a lot more changes in the next murder attributed to the Boston Strangler. His next victim was 20 years old, African-American (all before her had been Caucasian) and she had been raped. Her name was Sophie Clark and her body was found in her apartment in the Back Bay on December 5. She had been strangled with her stockings, which were around her neck, along with her slip. She was otherwise naked and she had been positioned sexually. If this was the Boston Strangler, he was progressing to rape and widely expanding the victim pool.

On December 31, 23-year-old, Patricia Bisette was found in her apartment in the Back Bay. She had been raped and strangled with her stockings and her blouse. The murder weapons were still around her neck. However, unlike the others, she was not lewdly positioned; she was covered with her blanket up to her neck. She was one month pregnant at the time of her death.

On May 6, 1963, the Boston Strangler murdered 23-year-old Beverly Samans. She was found on the couch in her apartment. An attempt had been made to strangle her. However, the cause of death was stab wounds to the neck and chest. The murderer left his signature bow around her neck, this time made out of two hankies and a stocking. One handkerchief was stuffed in her mouth, another lie over it. The knife used to kill her was in the sink.

The Boston Strangler briefly returned to older victims on September 8, 1963, with the murder of 58-year-old Evelyn Corbin. She was found in her apartment in Salem lying nude face up on her bed. Police found sperm in her mouth along with underwear that had been stuffed there.

On November 23, 1963, the body of 23-year-old, Joann Graff was discovered in her Lawrence apartment. She was raped and strangled with a nylon stocking that was tied in a bow around her neck. Her killer bit one of her breasts during or after the attack.

The last victim of the Boston Strangler was 19-year-old Mary Sullivan. Mary was left in a very gruesome near-sitting position with a broomstick handle in her vagina. A bow made out of the nylons and two scarves she was killed with was around her neck. There was a New Year's card resting on her foot.

The above are the eleven murders that police had attributed to the Boston Strangler, at that point. That number would go up by two when the police heard a confession from a man who was awaiting trial for rape and breaking and entering. That man was Albert DeSalvo.

Albert DeSalvo was a working-class man with a wife and two children when he was arrested and jailed for breaking into women's houses and raping or molesting them. Although, on some occasions he would simply tie them up at knifepoint and then apologize before leaving the premises. He would later claim that the number of women he had attacked was around 300.

Albert DeSalvo was raised by his mother after his father abandoned the family when Albert was 8 years old. Albert's father Frank DeSalvo was an alcoholic who abused his wife and children. There are even claims that he brought prostitutes home and forced his children to watch him have sex with them. This is not certain, though it is certain that Albert came from one messed up background. When he was seventeen, he joined the army. He met and married his wife while stationed in Germany. The couple moved back to the U.S. in 1954, where DeSalvo was stationed at Fort Dix.

While Albert was stationed at Fort Dix, he was arrested for molesting a nine-year-old girl. The charges were dropped and he was honorably discharged in 1956. He and his family then moved to Massachusetts, where they eventually settled in Malden. Despite having a job, DeSalvo turned to breaking and entering and theft. Around the same time, he began a series of crimes that earned him the title "Measuring Man." He would tell women that he worked for a modeling agency and then convince them to allow him to take their measurements, naked or clothed. He was never charged for anything regarding this behavior. The police did take notice, however. DeSalvo was jailed for breaking and entering in 1961 and served 6 months in prison.

Sometime after the last Boston Strangler murder, Albert began his life as the "Green Man." The Green Man was the name Albert was given during his time breaking into women's houses and assaulting them.  He was finally taken into custody when one of his victims was able to identify him. He was first brought to the Bridgewater State Hospital (a mental facility) and then placed in Cambridge Prison. However, he was brought back to Bridgewater because of his mental state.

While in Bridgewater, Albert DeSalvo told another inmate that he was the Boston Strangler. That inmate (George Nassar) told his lawyer, Lee Bailey. Lee Bailey contacted the police and informed them that he was going to question Albert, which he did. Albert gave them a startlingly accurate confession. However, it should be noted that Albert gave them a few false details as well. He also confessed to two other murders that the police had not linked to the Boston Stranger, those of Mary Brown and Mary Mullen. It should be pointed out that Albert DeSalvo was known for being a boastful man. That is not to say that he lied, but that it is possible he wanted the attention that being the Boston Strangler would get him.

Prosecutors were unable to try Albert for the murders because his confession was useless unless they let him plead insanity, which they would not. However, DeSalvo was found competent to stand trial for the rapes he had committed, and for those he was found guilty and sentenced to life in Bridgewater State. After he escaped from Bridgewater State and turned himself in, he was sent to Walpole maximum-security prison. He was stabbed and killed in his cell there on November 25, 1973.

Many people have claimed that Albert DeSalvo was not the Boston Strangler. They say that because his motive for confessing may have been money and that some of the details he gave in his confession did not add up that he must not have been the killer. Furthermore, some people have stated that the Boston Strangler did not exist and that several killers were at work. The killer may not have been Albert DeSalvo, but one thing is certain. He was linked by DNA to the murder of Mary Sullivan in 2013. The similarities between that case and the others make it likely he was behind all of them.


Popular posts from this blog

Dena Riley and Richard Davis: Sadistic Serial Killer Couple

Richard Davis and Dena Riley were drug-crazed serial killers willing to do the unthinkable. They were the classic killer couple, feeding off each other's depravity and, in the case of Dena, willing to do anything to please her partner. There were few lines this duo did not cross, even though their killing spree was relatively short and included comparatively few victims.

Richard "Ricky" Davis was a repeat sex offender and general lawbreaker who was raised in Kansas City. He was institutionalized as a teenager. Later, he was imprisoned for stealing. Within months of his release, he was back in prison for raping a woman at knifepoint. He was sentenced to 25 years but was released in May of 2005 after roughly 18 years.

For nine months after his release, Ricky Davis catered to a bondage, strangulation and sexual murder fetish with pornography. At the same time, he attended sex counseling, drug counseling and kept in touch with his parole officer religiously. His complianc…

Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka: The Ken and Barbie Killers

In the annals of criminal history, there are a slew of serial rapists and sadistic killers who target young women. Nearly all of them are men. However, a rare few sexually deviant killers are women. Many of these women are involved with men who have the same sick sexual appetite. Such was the case for Karla Homolka and her husband Paul Bernardo. They are otherwise known as the Ken and Barbie killers. This couple had a repugnant habit of forcefully involving teenage girls in their sexual forays. On at least three occasions, these rapes ended in murder.

Paul Bernardo's childhood was strange by most standards. He was the product of an adulterous affair by his mother. Nonetheless, he was accepted by his mother's husband and included in the family as if he was his adopted father's child. The man who accepted Paul was a pedophile who abused little girls, including his own daughter, Paul's sister. Mrs. Bernardo became aware of this somehow and reacted by becoming grossly ov…

Jesse Pomeroy: The Boston Boy Fiend

Jesse Pomeroy or Boston's "Boy Fiend" is numbered among the most sadistic and remorseless serial killers of all time. He was brutal, demented and, well, fiendish. However, unlike most criminals who are dubbed "serial killers," his murder count was quite low. Jesse Pomeroy was guilty of killing only two people (two people is two too many, but few in the world of serial killers). Another very strange fact about Jesse Pomeroy that is also frightening is that he was only 14 years old when he committed these murders. He was even younger when he began torturing young boys.

Jesse Pomeroy was born in Charlestown, Massachusetts on November 29, 1859. His full name was Jesse Harding Pomeroy and he was the younger of two children (both boys) born to Ruth and Charles Pomeroy. According to his mother and records, Jesse took ill when he was just a baby. He fully recovered and was described as intelligent when he was older. However, his mother cited this in her defense of her d…